Skip to main content


Please be aware that some independent online entities are charging a fee to download and/or print versions of our forms. This website and anrOnline are the only official sources for Act 250 forms. Contact your Act 250 district office if you have questions.

Need Help?

Contact your local District Coordinator who will help you determine whether you need an Act 250 permit. Look up the district by town here.

The Act 250 Permit Application Process

How to access Act 250 application forms

The Act 250 application forms and application guide are available from the "Act 250 Permit Application" page. If you need assistance working with the application and/or guide or you do not have electronic access, please contact the appropriate Act 250 District Office for the town or city where your property is located. Note: Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are the preferred Internet browsers to access and work in the application portal. For more information, please refer to the Act 250 Application Guide.

What is the difference between a “major” and a “minor” application?

Once you have submitted your application, the District Environmental Commission will determine whether it will be processed as a "major" or "minor" application. A major application is subject to a public hearing before the District Commission. No hearing is held for a minor application unless requested by an interested party, a local or state agency, or the District Commission. For both major and minor applications, a notice is published in a local newspaper and sent directly to adjoining property owners, interested  state agencies, and local and regional officials. 

Do you need assistance filling out Act 250 application forms?

If you have questions about filling out the application, we encourage you to schedule a pre-application meeting with the Act 250 District Coordinator, who will discuss your project with you and provide guidance on filling out the required forms. If you feel you need more substantial support, you are welcome to hire a private Act 250 consultant.

Submit your completed application to the local Act 250 District Office. The application is reviewed by the local District Commission, which determines whether the application will be processed as an Administrative Amendment, a Minor, or a Major. If an Administrative Amendment, a permit is issued without further review. If a Minor, a notice of application filing is sent to Statutory and Designated Parties, with an opportunity for a public hearing, if requested. If a Major, the local District Commission holds a hearing, reviews evidence, and then deliberates. The permit is then issued with conditions. An Act 250 permit application that does not meet all criteria may be denied.